- James Ross locates North Magnetic Pole, 1831.
John Masefield born, 1878.
- Vandals begin sack of Rome, 455.
- Johann Strauss died, 1899.
Evacuation of Donkeywork completed, 1940.
- Henry VIII and Francis I begin meeting on Field of Cloth of Gold, 1520.
George III born, 1738.
- Adam Smith born, 1776.
First fire balloon ascent by Montgolfier Brothers, 1783.
John Maynard Keynes born, 1883.
- Invasion of Normandy, 1944.
- Treaty of Tordesillas (Spain and Portugal divide New World), 1494.
Battle of Midway Island ended, 1942.
- The Act of the Congress of Vienna, 1815.
Frank Lloyd Wright born, 1869.
- George Stephenson locomotive inventor, born, 1781.
Charles Dickens died, 1870.
- Frederick Barbarossa drowned in Syria, 1190.
Prince Philip born, 1921.
- Simon de Montfort and barons obtain Provisions of Oxford from Henry III, 1258.
Henry VIII married Catherine of Aragon, 1509.
- Act of Settlement of Succession to English, 1701.
Sir Anthony Eden born, 1897.
- Alexander the Great dies at Babylon, 323 B.C.
William Butler Yeats born, 1865.
- Harriet Beecher Stowe born, 1811.
Congress adopts the Stars and Stripes, 1777.
- Magna Carta signed, 1215.
Massacre of the Janissaries, 1826.
- Hugh Capet becomes King of France, 956.
Berlin Conference, 1880.
- John Wesley born, 1703.
Igor Stravinsky born, 1882.
- Napoleon Bonaparte defeated at Waterloo, 1815.
- King John seals Magna Carta at Runnymede, 1215.
James I born, 1566.
Blaise Pascal born, 1623.
- Act of Settlement of succession to English throne, 1701.
Queen Victoria ascends throne, 1837.
- German fleet scuttled at Scapa Flow, 1919.
- Galilei Galileo forced by Inquisition to abjure theories of Copernicus, 1633.
Germany invades Russia, 1941.
- Battle of Plassey gives English control of Bengal, 1757.
Reign of Terror begins in France, 1793.
- Battle of Bannockburn establishes independence of Scotland, 1314.
Russian blockade of Berlin began, 1948.
- Foundation of Clairvaux, 1115.
Korean War began, 1950.
- Francisco Pizzaro assassinated in Peru, 1541.
United Nations Charter signed in San Francisco, 1945.
- Charles Stewart Parnell born, 1846.
U.S. intervenes in Korean War, 1949.
- Archduke Francis Ferdinand assassinated at Sarajevo, 1914.
Treaty of Versailles signed, 1919.
- Peter Paul Rubens born, 1577.
Atlantic Cable laid, 1858.
- William of Orange invited to England, 1688.
This Month in History