- The first of more than 12 million immigrants pass through the doors of the Ellis Island Immigration Station.
- Spanish Army takes Granada from Moors, 1492.
- Marcus Tullius Cicero born, 106 BC.
Shogunate abolished in Japan, 1868.
- 1999 Europe is united with a common currency when the "euro" debuts as a financial unit.
- National Socialist Party founded in Germany, 1919.
King Edward the Confessor died, 1066.
Defeat and death of Charles the Bold at Nancy, 1477.
- Joan of Arc born (c.1412).
Richard II, King of England, born, 1367.
- Casais regained by the French, 1555.
Founding of Glasgow University, 1451.
- President Woodrow Wilson's Fourteen Points announced.
Death of Galileo Galilei, Italian physicist and astronomer, 1642.
- Emperor Louis Napoleon Bonaparte III died, 1873.
Treaty of Jassy, 1792.
- Treaty of Versailles ratified in Paris, 1920.
First United Nations General Assembly held in London, 1946.
Julius Caesar crosses the Rubicon, 49 B.C.
- Alexander Hamilton born, 1757.
France and Great Britain abandon joint control of Egypt, 1883.
- Edmund Burke born, 1729.
- Nemstvos, or provincial assemblies, formed in Russea, 1864.
Emile Zola publishes J'accuse, 1898.
- Albert Schweitzer born, 1875.
- Jean Baptiste Poquelin Moliere born, 1622.
Act of Supremacy, 1535.
- First Russian Tsar, Ivan the Terrible, crowned, 1547.
Emperor Charles V abdicates, 1556.
- Benjamin Franklin born, 1706.
End of Papal Babylonian Captivity, 1377.
- German Empire proclaimed, 1871.
- James Watt born, 1736.
Union of Aragon and Castile under Ferdinand and Isabella, 1479.
- First meeting of House of Commons, 1265.
Simon de Montfort summons burgesses to Parliament, 1265.
- Louis XVI guillotined, 1793.
Henry IV presents himself as penitent at Canossa, 1077.
- "Red Sunday" in St. Petersburg, 1905.
- Edouard Manet born, 1832.
- Frederick the Great of Prussia born, 1712.
Assassination of Caligula, 41 A.D.
- W.H. Fox Talbot produces first photographic negative, 1839.
Robert Boyle, physicist, born, 1627.
Robert Burns born, 1759.
- India proclaimed a Republic within Commonwealth, 1950.
First British convicts settled in Australia, 1788
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart born, 1756.
Viet Nam War cease-fire signed, 1973.
- Kaiser William II born, 1859.
King Henry VII born, 1457.
Paris surrendered to German Army, 1871.
Death of Henry VIII, 1547.
- Academie Francaise founded, 1635.
Death of George III, 1820.
- Adolf Hitler appointed Chancellor, 1933.
- Guy Fawkes hanged, 1606.
This Month in History