- William Harvey born, 1578.
Persecution of Jews in Nazi Germany begins, 1933.
- Charlemagne, Charles the Great, born, 742.
- Peace of Cateau-Cambresis ending Habsburg-Valois Wars, 1559.
Arab armistice with Israel, 1949.
- North Atlantic Treaty (NATO) signed at Washington, 1949.
- Thomas Hobbes born, 1588.
Joseph Lister born, 1827.
- U.S. enters World War I, 1917.
- St. Francis Xavier born, 1506.
Capetown founded, 1652.
William Wordsworth born, 1770.
- Petrarch crowned Poet on the Capital, Rome, 1341.
Entente Cordiale signed by England and France, 1904.
- Francois Rabelais dies, 1553.
Vladimir Ilyich Lenin born, 1870.
- Chartists present Petition to Parliament, 1848.
Archduke Maximilian made Emperor of Mexico, 1864.
- Peace of Utrect ending War of Spanish Succession, 1713.
Napoleon Bonaparte abdicated and Treaty of Fontainebleau signed, 1814.
- Firing on Fort Sumter beginning U.S. Civil War, 1861.
Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin is first man in space, 1961.
- Edict of Nantes promulgated, 1598.
First performance of Handel's Messiah at Dublin, 1742.
- S.S. Titanic sank, 1912.
- Abraham Lincoln died, 1865.
- Battle of Culloden, 1746.
Harriet Quimby first woman to fly over English Channel, 1912.
- Martin Luther excommunicated by Diet of Worms, 1521.
Treaty of Shimonoseki ending Sino-Japanese War, 1895.
- San Francisco earthquake and fire, 1906.
- Battle of Lexington, 1775.
- Jacques Cartier reaches Labrador, 1534.
Adolf Hitler born, 1889.
- Peter Abelard died, 1142.
Queen Elizabeth II born, 1926.
- Queen Isabella of Spain born, 1451.
Mme. DuBarry becomes official mistress of Louis XV, 1769.
- William Shakespeare died, 1616.
Cervantes died, 1616.
- Library of Congress founded, 1800.
Beginning of Irish Easter Rebellion, 1916.
- St. Louis (King Louis IX) born, 1214.
- Jean Racine dies, 1699.
Guernica, Spain, destroyed by German aircraft, 1937.
- Edward Gibbon born, 1737.
- Mutiny on the Bounty, 1789.
League of Nations founded, 1919.
- Jeanne of Arc inspires French troops to victory at Orleans, 1429.
Duke of Wellington born, 1769.
- USA purchased Louisiana from France, 1803.
This Month in History