Graduate Studies Workshop
The department offers a workshop for majors interested in pursuing graduate studies. The workshop is designed to:
- Help students make informed decisions about graduate school.
- Teach what steps are necessary in order to be considered for graduate and professional programs.
- Provide a general overview of graduate application requirements for programs such as law, business, and medical school.
You will be able to use this page as a resource for general information about graduate studies and the process of applying to graduate programs.
Thinking About Graduate School
All graduate programs have strict application deadlines, so it is important to keep a schedule for yourself during your undergraduate career. Use the following as a guide.
Sophomore Year: Spring
Think about the type of graduate program that interests you. Begin to do online research and review your course work to ensure you are meeting their admissions criteria. Join a study group or support group with other students aiming for graduate school.
Junior Year: Spring or Summer
During your continued research you should collect and record the following information:
- A list of graduate schools or professional programs that align with your personal interests.
- Specific application deadlines for each program you are considering.
- Pre-entrance examination requirements for each program you are considering (i.e., GRE's, LSAT's, MCAT's).
- Pre-entrance examination dates, locations, costs, and registration procedures and deadlines.
Senior Year: Fall
As graduation draws near, you will want to:
- Narrow down the list of programs you will be applying to.
Remember, you will pay a fee with each application you submit.
- Ask your professors to write letters of recommendation for you.
- Sit down and write your personal essay (required by most programs).
- Gather several writing samples.
- Order transcripts from the registrar's office.
- Have GRE (or other exam) scores sent to schools you are applying to.
- Apply! Remember to pay close attention to ALL individual deadlines.
Deadlines for a university's graduate school may differ from the specific program you are interested in, so pay close attention!
If you are a declared major or minor and would like to be notified when the next workshop is scheduled, contact Rose Smetana.
The Graduate Studies Glossary is a great list of must-know terms for the soon-to-be grad student.