Ph.D., University of Florida
Research & Teaching Interests
- Queer theory
- LGBT studies
- Postcolonial studies
- Critical pedagogy
- 20th-century American literature
- Film studies
- Popular culture
- "Section 377 and the 'Trouble with Statism': Legal Intervention and Queer Performativity in Contemporary India" (Forthcoming in Genders, Volume 49, Fall 2009).
- "The Politics of Queer Time: Reparative Returns to the Primal Scene of American Studies," Modern Fiction Studies (Volume 54, Number 4, Winter 2008, Pgs 791-814.)
- "Feminism in India and Queer Theory: Reversing Epistemological Frames," Indiscretions: At the Intersection of Postcolonial and Queer Theory, Editor: Murat Ayedemir, Publisher: Rodopi (Forthcoming, Spring 2009)
- "Pedagogical Practices and the Reparative Performance of Failure, or, What does [Queer] Knowledge do?” JAC, Vol 25, Number 1, Pgs185-207, 2006.
- "Resisting Mundane Violence: Feminism and Queer Identity in Post-colonial India," Michigan Journal of Feminist Studies, 17, Pgs 27-46 2003.
- Entries on "The Gay Novel," "The Aids Quilt," and "Mark Merlis" in Contemporary LGBTQ Literature, edited by Emmanuel Nelson, Greenwood Press. (forthcoming)
- "After the Fire: Is India still Burning?" Book Review of The Phobic and the Erotic: The Politics of Sexuality in Contemporary India edited by Bose and Bhattacharyya. GLQ, Volume 15, Number 1, 2009. Pgs 180-182.
Contact Dr. Shahani
Wilson-Short Hall 10E